I was so excited when I found out I would get to try New Monic Book's SAT Word Power Vocabulary Cartoons! I have a strong background in English, and I love to study words, but my children have not inherited this trait. On the contrary, vocabulary study is actually akin to drudgery among my children (my boys especially). When I received the book I couldn't put it down. It is so much fun to read. The big test, however, came when I assigned it to my tenth grade son to use for his vocabulary studies this year. His reaction shocked me! He loves the book! And, most importantly, he is retaining what he is learning. I am seeing him use words from the cartoons in his writing and he is actually using them correctly. Let me explain a little about how this book works.

Each page reads like a cartoon. And each page describes a different word. The words are arranged alphabetically. The entries depict the word to be studied, the phonetic pronunciation of the word, the definition of the word, a mnemonic device to help remember the word (the association link word), a cartoon picture depicting the word with a mnemonic caption, and the word used correctly in sentences. After ten word cartoon pages there is a brief review. I use the review as a little quiz. So far my son has scored 100% on all of them.
There are two editions of the vocabulary cartoons so far. New Monic's website (http://www.vocabularycartoons.com/home/) even has other products available that I think would be really fun to use. Their books are available on c.d., there are teacher products available such as blackline masters, and there are elementary versions of the vocabulary cartoon books.
The vocabulary cartoon book makes learning vocabulary so much fun that kids don't realize they are learning. I highly recommend using this vocabulary program either as a stand alone curriculum for vocabulary or to supplement whatever curriculum you are currently using. For students who are going to be taking the SAT exam this book is a must have! It is tremendously easier to remember the multitude of vocabulary words a student needs to know by using mnemonic devices. I have really enjoyed using Vocabulary Cartoons and will continue to use it. I can't wait to get the second book! SAT Word Power retails for $12.95. It contains 294 pages of vocabulary cartoons and reviews. It is quite a bargain for all of the words you can learn! Get ready for some giggles as your kids read!
To read other reviews about SAT Word Power Vocabulary Cartoons, you can go to http://homeschoolblogger.com/homeschoolcrew/783022/.
Disclaimer: I have received no compensation by TOS or its affiliates in exchange for this review. The opinions stated are my own.


No comments:
Post a Comment