Review Crew

Friday, November 9, 2012

Holidays and Arts and Crafts

   Arts and Crafts used to be an integral part of our holiday season.  My kids have gotten older, and don't enjoy the cut and paste type craft projects anymore.  We have graduated to more sewing, crocheting, needle-work, painting, and woodwork type projects. Many times our arts and crafts projects are done with gift-giving in mind.  We are in the process of deciding on projects right now, and, I must admit, Pinterest has been my best friend for the past few weeks.  We are going to be very low on funds this year, so I have been looking for projects that can be done with minimal supply purchases.  One of my favorites is a project involving making coasters out of ceramic tiles and pictures.  I will need to spend around $20 to make these, but will end up with a huge number of gifts.  My daughter is into crocheting and is working on washcloths.  Last year she made pillow cases for everyone in our family.  She is very resourceful! 
     Because arts and craft projects can get really expensive, I love to watch for craft store coupons.  Almost every week I find a 50% off coupon for one or more of the craft stores that I visit.  Once I have my projects decided on, I take advantage of those coupons and buy a few supplies at a time.  I have an old table set up in our garage and that is where we all work on the messy projects (things involving paint, varnish, etc..).  One other fun idea I have seen lately is for making candle holders out of old jars that have been covered with glue and then rolled in epsom salts.  They look so 'wintry' and sparkly.  I have tons of old jars, and I always have glue, so we are going to make a bunch of these just for the cost of a carton of epsom salts and some inexpensive votive candles.  It may be hard for me to give those away!
    Whatever type arts and crafts you like, take time to do some during the holidays.  It is a family tradition that will always be remembered.  I have some friends who decorate gingerbread men every year.  Another friend has all of her grandkids come over and they make a special Christmas ornament together every year.  Traditions are so special!  What can you do to add some ars and crafts traditions to your family holiday celebrations?


  To read other blogs about arts and crafts for the holidays, click on the links at the end of this post. If you would like to be entered in the giveaways for this 5 Days of Preparing for the Holidays series, visit my giveaway page.  Knowledge Box Central has graciously donated 5 fabulous products for me to give to my readers this week!
PreparingfortheHolidays

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've really gotten away from doing arts and crafts with my children and I miss that. I'm going to have to start doing it again and not just at Christmas time.

Unknown said...

Your projects sound fun, I am looking forward to working on some as well as soon as we break for holiday on the 20th of November. I have a bunch of ideas pinned on pinterest.