“Can I always do this math, mom?” This is the question my daughter asked after just three pages of work in her new Math Mammoth Blue Series Division 2 Worktext. I actually caught her at 10:00 last night working on math. She has always excelled in math, but for some reason the concept of division has alluded her. When
I found out we were going to receive Math Mammoth as a review item, I knew this would be the answer to her problem. I used a different Math Mammoth worktext years ago with a student I was tutoring, and loved the layout of the curriculum. I had completely forgotten how thorough each product is! Maria Miller, author of the Math Mammoth curriculum, is a former math teacher with a master’s degree in mathematics (minoring in physics and statistics). She is no longer in a traditional classroom because she is a homeschooling mom. Her products are her solution to math curricula which contains more “fluff” than content. Maria offers both worktexts (complete instructional curriculum) and worksheet collections. We are currently using Division 2, but will be moving into Decimals and then Fractions when we are finished with Division 2. These worktexts are designed for students to work fairly independently. I have found that my daughter is able to read the examples and explanations and complete the accompanying exercises with little to no assistance from me. Most importantly, she seems to be retaining what she is learning. The topical nature of the curriculum enables her to focus completely on one area and master that area before moving on. We will definitely be continuing to use Math Mammoth for mastery in math as long as possible.
Math Mammoth is a digital product. The Blue Series, which we are using, is fabulous to use as either a complete curriculum or as a supplement for topics where your child is struggling. Maria gives a very generous use license policy for her products. Parents / teachers are allowed to make as many copies as they need for their child(ren)/students forever. Math Mammoth products can be purchased as downloadable products or in a c.d. format. You can choose to print one worksheet or an entire worktext. For my purposes, I print an entire worktext, remove the answer key pages, print a front and back cover on cardstock (which I then laminate), and comb bind the book. This gives a sturdy math workbook that will withstand being carried in a backpack. I require all math to be done in pencil so mistakes can be corrected neatly. The Blue Series worktexts are very reasonably priced from $2-$7 each, or the entire series for $95 (download), $100 (cd). The beauty
of the entire series is that it covers all topics necessary for grades 1-6. Think about it, an entire math curriculum for grades 1-6 for under $100! Amazing! And the fact that you can print these files over and over (think multiple children) makes it even more affordable. Maria generously offers a sample pack of her worksheets on her website. With the sample pack, you will receive around 300 worksheets representing her different products. By utilizing her “try before you buy” sample, you can have a great idea of whether or not this curriculum will be a good fit for your child. To purchase Math Mammoth products, visit the website, here. You will select your product(s) and then be redirected to Kagi to make your purchase.
Math curriculum choices are highly individualized; however, with Math Mammoth there are so many affordable choices that it is simple to find something that works for you. Maria is one of the most gracious curriculum publishers I have ever encountered. If you are not sure about what curriculum to choose, simply contact her and she will expertly guide you through the selection process. In my opinion, Math Mammoth is one of the most thorough and easy to understand math curricula on the market today.
To read other reviews of these worktexts, as well as other Math Mammoth products, visit the main crew blog page, here.
**I was not compensated in any way by TOS or Math Mammoth in exchange for this review. The opinions expressed are my own".**


1 comment:
We love Mammoth Math. I am now following you. Have a great day.
Post a Comment