Dig-it Games is a company that we have had some experience with in the past. Lately, we have been playing their newest game, Mayan Mysteries. I love to use games and technology in our homeschooling. Mayan Mysteries combines both of these in an online game.
Geared toward kids ages 11 and up, this game operates with the storyline of challenging the player to stop a looter who is visiting ancient Mayan sites and digging them up. Players go through challenges which involve reading short passages about Mayan culture and history, answering questions about those passages, exploring the Mayan calendar, and using the base-20 Mayan arithmetic system. In some of the other challenges, players analyze glyphs in order to solve a code. Players are rewarded for their progress in the game.

Unfortunately, this game has been more of a hit with me than with my kids. They have learned some interesting facts about the Mayans, but it has been difficult to have them play the game. This is not an action-filled constantly moving game. The graphics are wonderful and the game moves without glitches or long pauses; but, my kids are more fond of more active computer games. I think that if I had a mouse on my computer instead of a touchpad their experience could have been a little better. Maneuvering through games is a bit cumbersome with a touchpad. Also, my kids are on the older side of the age range. I think kids in 6th – 8th grade would enjoy this as an educational supplement. If I had presented it as such to my kids, I believe they would have enjoyed it more. I think they were let down because I had touted it as a really fun, exciting online game. I failed to tell them it was a game about ancient history. Also, I didn’t care for mentions of spirits – even though I know that was part of the Mayan culture. There is a little bit about warfare mentioned, not really a lot of violence as such, but parents need to be aware. You can try a free demo here. So, all in all, the game is very educational, it utilizes high quality graphics, and is entertaining; however, it was not a great fit for our family.
Mayan Mysteries retails for $21.99 for a single-user license. For an explanation of the single-user license, click here.
My friends on the Schoolhouse Review Crew have been using both the online and app version of Mayan Mysteries. To read their reviews, click on the banner below.



No comments:
Post a Comment