Review Crew

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

VocabularySpellingCITY.com–A Review

VocabularySpellingCITY.com has been one of our family’s favorite online educational programs for quite a while now.  A few years ago, before the vocabulary feature was added, we used this for all of our spelling practice.  Now we are using it for both spelling and vocabulary practice.  This is a quality program that is easy to begin using, affordable, and saves me a huge amount of time each week.  Time saver? Definitely.  With multiple kids needing spelling and vocabulary drills, VocabularySpellingCITY takes care of the drill, practice, and even testing beautifully! We received a Premium Membership, which gives use for up to five students.

     How does the program work?  It couldn’t be more user-friendly and easy to set up.  Sign up is quick through the VocabularySpellingCITY.com website and retails for $29.99.  I vsc_smstill have 2 of our 6 children in school, so this was a perfect membership for us. It is able to be used for children in elementary through high school.   I also downloaded the app to my IPad.  The app itself is free, but won’t be useable for premium membership features unless you have an active premium membership account.  Once our account was set up, I went into wordorama_zps693e47d4my teacher tools and added my kids as my students.  Then, I was able to either input my own lists of spelling / vocabulary words or choose from lists already stored in VocabularySpellingCITY.  I like to input my own lists since we use our own spelling/vocabulary curriculum.  Actually, since all of my kids using the program are in middle school / high school, I usually let them put the lists into the program.  It saves me time and gives them extra practice with the words.  There are ready-to-use lists available from which to choose if you would rather use those lists.  I did quite a bit of exploration into those lists.  They are arranged by grade and by topic.  One list I utilized was the science word list. 

        Once my kid’s word lists for the week are entered, the fun begins!  I can either logo-VSCsmassign specific activities I want the kids to complete or (what I usually do) I can assign an amount of time I want them to spend with the program. As the parent/teacher, I can always see exactly how much time the kids have spent on the program and I can see which activities they have completed.  I can see their scores on any activities that generate scores. The activities available vary from puzzle and game type activities to dictation type activities.  I can assign activities that focus mainly on spelling or mainly on vocabulary (definitions). I check their progress and watch what activities they have been using. This gives me a good idea of where they may need some help.   Then I check their grades on their tests.  If their grades are not where they need to be, they can do more practice and take their tests again. image

      The kids love the independence of this program.  They each have their own login and password.  It also eliminates the pen and paper activity for spelling and vocabulary.  They love to be able to choose the activities that are the most fun for them and help them learn the words for the week the best. I  generally require them to spend 15-30 minutes a day on practice / test activities.  For us, this is the perfect amount of time.  This program takes the drudgery out of spelling and vocabulary practice.  Overall, VocabularySpellingCITY is a winner for us!

     If you would like to read some other reviews written by my friends on the Schoolhouse Review Crew, click on the banner below.

Photobucket
 
 
 photo DisclaimerGraphic1_zpsf612f371.gif

No comments: