Review Crew

Friday, May 20, 2011

Let Your Fingers do the Walking!

wqpic-1
WORDY QWERTY is a follow-up program to Read, Write, and Type, published by Talking Fingers.  WORDY QWERTY is designed for 7-10 year old children, although any child who needs to brush up on his/her decoding skills could benefit from the program.  Basic typing skills are useful, but not required.  My daughter completed the Read, Write, and Type program last year, and still goes back to it to keep her typing skills sharp.  She is really enjoying the WORDY QWERTY program as well.  She is 11 now, and has difficulty decoding words, so this program has been wonderful for her. The songs (karaoke) on the program really help reinforce the different phonics rules covered.  They are pretty catchy little jingles! The TOS crewmembers were given the online edition of WORDY QWERTY for purposes of review.  The program was very easy to download and install.  As a matter of fact, my daughter was able to start playing right away.  Talking Fingers, as a company, is great at customer service.  If there are any “bugs” in a program, they are very quick to help resolve the issue. There is a place on the website for “patches” that you can download to fix any bugs that may arise. 
WORDY QWERTY is a great supplement to an existing phonics program.  Look at what is covered (straight from their website):
20 LESSONS IN WORDY QWERTY (SPELLING RULES)
  1. Silent E
  2. Sounds of C
  3. Sounds of G
  4. J or DGE
  5. W or WH
  6. C or K
  7. CK or K
  8. CKS or X
  9. CH or TCH
  10. LL, SS, FF, ZZ
  11. OI or OY
  12. VE Words
  1. Open Syllables
  2. Double Consonants
  3. Doubling rule
  4. ER, IR, OR, UR, EAR
  5. I Before E
  6. Plurals: Add ES
  7. Plurals: Y to IES
  8. Plurals: F to VES
For pricing information, go here.  Prices on the online version range from $25 for a single user to $71.25 for multiple users.  According to the website, all online licenses are good for 5 years.  That alone makes the price seem nominal. 
     This program has been, and will continue to be, a valuable tool in our family.  I hope your family can enjoy it as well.  To read about how other crewmembers have implemented WORDY QWERTY into their homeschool day, go here.
**I have received no compensation from TOS or Talking Fingers in exchange for this review.  The opinions expressed are my own.**

3 comments:

Tammy said...

I have wondered about this program, thanks for sharing. Have a happy "hip hop" Tuesday. :)

Malea said...

Hmmm...I tutor an 11 year old boy that would probably really benefit from this. I'll look into it! Glad I found you on the Hip Homeschool Mom's HOP!

Thanks for this post! Very timely for me!

Deb Chitwood said...

This looks like a great program - love the reinforcement of phonics rules! We always enjoyed using jingles for learning a number of concepts, and I like that the program includes those. Thanks so much for your great review! Visiting from HHH! Deb @ LivingMontessoriNow.com