Review Crew

Monday, May 13, 2013

Easy-Peasy Black Bean Soup

We have been experiencing an abnormal cool spell here in Middle Tennessee.  When temperatures dip into the 30's and 40's, I always want to make soup.  I have this super easy Black Bean Soup in my crock pot right now - and my house smells soooooooo good!  This soup is a great source of protein and is spicy and warm.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!  For a printable copy of this recipe, click here.

Black Bean Soup (I use a 6 quart crock pot)

Dump into crock pot:
3 20-ounce cans black beans (juice and all)
4 cans diced tomatoes and green chilies (juice and all)
2 onions - finely chopped
3 cloves garlic - minced
2 T chili powder
2 T cumin
2 chipotle peppers (canned in adobo sauce, minced)
6 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth

Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours.  About an hour before serving, stir in 1 cup of dry, parboiled rice.  Cover and cook on high for one hour.

To serve:
1. Make cilantro relish: Chop 1 bunch of cilantro and 2 onions.  I chop these together with a food processor to make a 'relish' looking mixture.
2.Lime Juice:  Either juice a couple of limes and set aside, or have some lime juice on hand. 
3. Make tortilla strips:  Slice 6 corn tortillas into very thin strips.  Toss with olive oil, place on baking sheet, bake at 375 until crisp.  Salt if desired.

Ladle soup into bowls.  Top with a spoonful of the cilantro relish, a squirt of lime juice, and a sprinkle of tortilla strips. **If desired, top with cheese and sour cream, too.

No comments: