I remember, with great thoughts of pain and suffering (at least at the time), studying the origins of the English language when I was in high school. No offense to any teacher, but those studies were the most dry, boring, and uninteresting studies ever – to a teenager.
Enter King Alfred’s English some ???? years later. WOW! Maybe it is because I am older, maybe because I am a mom, maybe because I love to study origins, I don’t know – but this study is anything but dry, boring, and uninteresting. Laurie White has done a masterful job of researching and weaving together the intricacies of the origins of English. King Alfred’s English is captivating.
We are reading aloud some of the book, reading silently some of the book, but greatly enjoying all of the neat tidbits of information we are gleaning. This is one of those books that will be read and re-read with new pieces of information retained every time it is read. Don’t you love it when a child is reading a book and he/she comes to you with a ‘Hey, mom! Did you know . . .?’ question? I absolutely love that. I think that is the mark of a classic. In our family, King Alfred’s English is just that type of book.
Here are just a few snippets you will explore:
Did you know?
- The English were NOT the British. In fact, they fought each other…a lot. And still today, if you call an English person British, he might very well correct you even though he knows you probably won’t understand.
- You probably don’t pronounce the word “when” like your parents. When you say “when” and “win,” do these words sound the same? If you’re under 50, they probably do. If you’re older, you may still pronounce the sound of the “h” and the words sound slightly different. I still pronounce the “h,” do you?
- The Brothers Grimm compiled German fairy tales, but they were also famous philologists (and what IS a philologist?)
- There’s a law for the way languages change that backs up Intelligent Design.
- For over 300 years the official language of the English court was…French! Seriously. But the English were always fighting the French. That’s true. Find out why.
- There’s a reason we write “knight” but say “nite,” and you won’t believe how they used to pronounce it.
- It was once punishable by death to translate even portions of the Bible into English! Yikes!
- Recent scholarship has shown that at least 80% of the King James Bible is the translation work of just one man. Who was he?
Touted as the only complete book covering the history of the English language for students below college level, King Alfred’s English is a masterpiece in research. Exploring Mrs. White’s website, The Shorter Word, reveals resources galore to use with her publication. There are worksheets, tests, videos, and online links. Also, the complete bibliography for King Alfred’s English is available with functional links so you or your student can do further research.
Although intended for children ages 12 and older, I could see selected portions being used along with an Ancient History or World History study with younger children. We are incorporating it into both English and History. If the entire book is completed, this can count as either 1/2 credit for History or 1/4 credit each English and History. This is one of the only History books that has actually captivated my boys. There is actually a lot of action. As crazy as our version of English seems when Grammar is examined, King Alfred’s English helps readers of all ages make some sense out of the unique nuances of our language. It helps students of all ages appreciate the intrinsic beauty of our language and the complexities that have developed as it has developed.
I highly recommend King Alfred’s English for any homeschooling family. It will quickly become a favorite resource. For purchasing information, visit Laurie White’s website, The Shorter Word. On this page she gives you several options of places to purchase the print version as well as a link to purchase the Kindle version. Prices vary from $5.95 for the Kindle version up to $16.95 for the print version. Laurie graciously has listed multiple vendors and directs her readers to the best available price. I received the Kindle version and have enjoyed it. I do like a print book so I can ‘mark it up,’ so to speak. I could see myself purchasing at least one print version to use in our study (mainly so my IPad will quit disappearing).
Many of my friends on the Schoolhouse Review Crew have been reading King Alfred’s English as well. To read their reviews, visit the main crew blog page.
**Disclaimer: As a member of the Schoolhouse Review Crew, I received a complementary copy of King Alfred’s English for purposes of review. The honest opinions expressed are my own. No compensation was received.**


No comments:
Post a Comment