That being said, I have been enjoying Mr. Pipes and the British Hymn Makers thoroughly. I am ‘old’ (at least according to my kids I am) and was raised singing the great hymns referenced in this book. Our modern-day worship services tend to leave out the older hymns in favor of more modern worship songs. I’m sure that in the day some of the old hymns were considered modern worship songs and were not quite as popular as they became over time. So, what is the basic storyline of Mr. Pipes and the British Hymn Makers?
Here is a brief synopsis of Mr. Pipes and the British Hymn Makers, from the Christian Liberty Press website: This first book in the series by Douglas Bond tells the story of two teens who, while on vacation in England, are befriended by an elderly English gentlemen called Mr. Pipes. Through this relationship they learn about famous British hymn writers. They also learn about the value of traditional worship and praise.

The main characters in the book are Mr. Pipes ( an elderly gentleman who serves as the sort of mentor for the children), Annie and Drew (young American teens on an adventure in England for the summer), Dr. Dudley (town doctor who watches out for Mr. Pipes), and Mrs. Beccles (baker who keeps her eye out for the teens well-being). Isaac Watts, Charles Wesley, and John Newton are just a few of the renowned hymn writers included in the adventures. Mr. Bond even includes Scottish hymn writers and female hymn writers in the adventures. I am not going to spoil the entire storyline, but, I will tell you to expect all sorts of adventurous experiences ranging from fishing expeditions, to train excursions, even talk of royalty. My daughter enjoys the stories. She is a little more into ‘girlie’ type stories, but these have been fun and, I think, have given her a greater appreciation for some of the great hymns of the faith.
The e-book is offered for purchase through the Christian Liberty Press website for $8.79. The print version is available through the website also for $9.89. It is the first book in the Mr. Pipes series. Other books in the series, as well as a complete set of the Mr. Pipes series, are available on the website, too. The other print books retail for $9.89 individually and the complete set retails for $38.99.
To read what our Schoolhouse Review Crew has to say about Mr. Pipes and the British Hymn Makers, visit our main crew blog page.
**As a member of the Schoolhouse Review Crew, I was given an e-book copy of Mr. Pipes and the British Hymn Makers to read and review. The honest opinions expressed in this review are my own. No compensation was received.**


No comments:
Post a Comment