ACUITY, ASTUTE, DISCERN, INCISIVE, KEEN, PERSPICACITY
Hmmmm, how many of the above words can you use correctly or define correctly? Vocabulary usage is a skill that is greatly overlooked in education today. Most educational systems simply require rote memorization of words and definitions without moving to the next level of learning which is implementing those words into everyday language. I have taught for more years than I want to mention (because it makes me feel really old). A common thing I have noticed with kids and new vocabulary words is that they don’t know how to use new terms comfortably. I often return essays to students and ask them to make some word substitutions to enhance the essays. Funny thing is, most students just use a thesaurus, find a word they like, and plug it into the spot where a new word is needed without any regard for how the word fits with the flow of the sentence, paragraph, or entire essay.
Vocab Videos is an online vocabulary practice program, designed for students in upper middle – high school, which gives students, as well as adults, the astute ability to discern how to use vocabulary words with perspicacity. Yes, I did just use 3 of the words I listed at the first of this post. I just had to use some of the new words I have learned – but, I digress. “Vocab Videos was originally developed to teach SAT Vocabulary and tailored around learning key SAT Vocabulary words. Since that time, the system has proven an extremely effective vocabulary-learning tool for a variety of different tests beyond the SAT such as the ACT, ISEE, SSAT, and GRE tests. Vocab Videos is also an exemplary learning and teaching tool for any vocabulary learning program/class or individual vocabulary learning needs.” I currently teach ACT prep classes and I am so excited to be able to use this program with my students this year.
What exactly is included with the Vocab Videos program? As an educator, I am able to set up students so I can monitor their progress. The set up process is simple. After setup, each student receives a username and password via e-mail. I also have access to activities such as crossword puzzles, quizzes, and worksheets that coordinate with the various video episodes. The fun thing for me was that there are both printable and digital worksheets and quizzes. I am able to decide if the kids take an online quiz with immediate grading or a paper quiz later that I grade (or both). From a pricing standpoint, for educators:
1 Month Free Educator Trial $0.00
Small (up to 20 students) $74.99
Medium (up to 40 students) $134.99
Large (up to 100 students) $254.99
Educators needing more than 100 student licenses can contact Vocab Videos directly for pricing information. These prices are for a 12-month premium package. A student account, which has access to the videos and the study resources, is available for $24.99 for a 6-month subscription and $39.99 for a 12-month subscription. Honestly, as a parent and educator, if I had more than one child who was going to use the program, I would purchase the small educator license. It is a great value. There is also a companion workbook available here beginning at $11.99 (depending on the number purchased).
One bit of advice: as with any video program, parents will want to preview the videos and make sure the content is in alignment with their own values. The free educator trial gives parents the ability to do just this before committing financially.
I am seeing results from using Vocab Videos with my own kids. We have not done much of the written work during the summer, but we are using it now. The interesting thing is, they are remembering words that they learned from videos many weeks ago. They can’t necessarily write out a formal definition, but they can use the words properly. I think that is more important than being able to write a formal definition. After all, what is more practical, using words correctly in context or writing out what the dictionary says? For SAT and ACT testing, being able to use words in context correctly and to identify word relationships is important. The techniques used in Vocab Videos effectively teach these skills. My newest ACT Prep class begins in 2 weeks. I hope to be able to update this post with many positive results from my class using Vocab Videos. I can’t wait to show it to them!
Many of my friends on the Schoolhouse Review Crew have also been using and reviewing Vocab Videos. If you would like to read some of their reviews, simply visit the main crew blog page.
**As a member of the Schoolhouse Review Crew, I received a small educator license for Vocab Videos for purpose of review. The honest opinions expressed are my own. No compensation was received from TOS or Vocab Videos.**


No comments:
Post a Comment