Review Crew

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Learning to Defend Our Faith

Every so often, a curriculum product comes along that is so meaningful that it’s content spills over into many areas beyond it’s original use.  I Don’t Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist is just such a book/workbook combination for me and my family.apologia logo
     IDHEFtbaA Written in 2004 by Norman Geisler and Frank Turek, the original book, I Don’t Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist, is over 400 pages of basic, thorough apologetics.  This book gets down to the basics of what is truth, where did we come from, who is God, why we know the Bible is true, and much more.  Geisler and Turek provide countless citations, examples, and illustrations in their systematic approach to apologetics.  As deep as their book is, it is made even more meaningful with the addition of a new workbook, authored by Frank Turek and Chuck Winter and published by Apologia Press. 
      Turek and Winter have done a masterful job of weaving the content of the original book together with study questions and assignments that are thought provoking, insightful, and informative.  This workbookIDHEFtbaAimage is designed to be used with high school students and older.  It is suggested that students take 2-3 weeks to study each chapter of the book and complete the companion workbook pages.  We are finding that it is taking us a little longer than that, mainly because of the discussions that are resulting from our study.  I think we could have discussed for a lifetime the importance of the five most consequential questions in life.  What are those questions? 
IDHEFtbaAContents1.  Where did we come from?
2.  Who are we?
3.  Why are we here?
4.  How should we live?
5.  Where are we going?
Deep? Definitely! And this is just in the introduction!!! The book and workbook are very challenging because there is so much evidence for Christianity and arguments for Christianity presented.  The history buff in me loves the biographical sketches that are provided in the workbook.  We have read about C.S. Lewis, Augustine, Carl Sagan, Charles Darwin, Isaac Newton, and many other renowned historical figures – both Christian and non-Christian.  It is so interesting! Each chapter of the workbook is divided into four sections:  Hook – this is like a warm up for the workbook activities; Book – this section is where the actual topics students read about in the book are covered; Look – this section includes assignments to extend the lesson.  Some of these assignments are lengthy, so parents need to choose which assignments they want their child to complete.; and Took – this is the summary and, most importantly, the application section.  Students are guided through reviewing what they have learned and then learn how to apply the new concepts to their lives and to their witness for Christ.
     My high schoolers are enjoying the logical presentation and practical applications in the workbook.  For example, in chapter 3, one of the questions students answer is:  “How would you answer a friend who workbookfaithasks you, ‘Who made God?’”  This is something that is very realistic and really made the kids think through all of the evidence they had been studying so far. The boys don’t enjoy all of the writing (mainly because they are boys), but, I have found that they do enjoy discussing a lot of the questions with me and with each other.  This is a young earth, biblically based study that seems to be very sound theologically.  It lends itself to discussion opportunities in every single chapter.
     On a completely different note, I have been enjoying both the book and workbook so much that I am going to be using both products in an adult Bible study class at our church beginning in September.  I have found that many Christians know they are Christians, but they have no idea how to actually defend their faith.  Through our study, I hope to equip the adults in our study to be able to not only defend their faith but also proclaim their faith without reservation. With 14 chapters plus an introduction and conclusion to cover, it will be interesting to see how far we actually get in our allotted 13 week class.  I have a feeling that discussion time will be a lot of fun!
    Now for the bare facts:
How can the I Don’t Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist book and workbook be purchased? Visit the following web pages, through the Apologia website, for ordering information:
For the book: ($16)
   https://apologia.securesites.net/store/index.phpmain_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=220
For the Workbook: ($33)
https://apologia.securesites.net/store/index.phpmain_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=222
Sample pages from both the book and workbook are available at the above links, also. 
     As a mom, I love a curriculum that inspires my kids to discuss the things of God with each other and with me.  I hope they are really taking these lessons to heart and will use them to defend their faith as they go through life.
     Many of my friends on the Schoolhouse Review Crew have been reading and using the I Don’t Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist material.  To read what they have to say about it, visit our main crew blog.
**As a member of the Schoolhouse Review Crew, I received the products mentioned in this review free of charge in exchange for my honest review.  No compensation was received.  The honest opinions expressed are my own.**
    

No comments: