Review Crew

Monday, October 8, 2012

Comfort Food at it’s Finest!

With the onset of cooler temperatures, I have been in the mood to cook comfort foods.  This morning, temps dipped into the 30’s and I decided to make a crock pot full of soup.  Soups can be really nutritious and simple to make.  Today I created a Lentil, Vegetable, and Ham soup.  It smells so yummy! Can’t wait to dish it out with some homemade polenta in a little while.

Here’s the basic recipe:

1 ham bone or ham hock (you want some meat on the bone)

1 pound dried lentils, rinsed and sorted

2 onions, chopped

2 bell peppers, chopped

4 ribs celery, chopped

2 bay leaves

water to cover

salt and pepper to taste

I put the ham bone, lentils, veggies, and bay leaves in my crock pot. Cover with water. Cook on High for 6 hours.  Then I remove the bone and shred the meat, adding the meat back to the soup.  Remove and discard the bay leaves.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Serve with polenta or cornbread. Great cold day meal!!!  Enjoy!

No comments: