Federal Tax Course by National Tax Training School
As many of my readers know, our family is going through a very difficult time right now due to an injury my husband sustained. Without going into the details, suffice it to say that I am the one who is having to handle our financial issues until he recovers. One of the financial issues that is a bit frightening is the responsibility to prepare our taxes. At least, it was frightening, until now.
As a member of the Schoolhouse Review Crew, I received the Federal Tax Course from the National Tax Training School. This self-paced correspondence course is designed for adults who have no previous experience in the tax field or those with some experience who wish to get a more thorough training in all pertinent phases of federal income tax preparations for individuals. National Tax Training School is a nationally accredited correspondence school. Students who complete the entire course are well prepared to take the required IRS Registered Tax Return Preparer (RTRP) exam. This exam is required if one has the desire to work as a professional tax preparer, whether in a his/her own tax practice or in an accounting or tax preparation firm.
I began this course with the idea in mind to complete it so I could become a professional tax preparer to earn some extra income. I still have that desire; but, I think it may take me a little longer than I had originally intended. Now I realize that God knows what He is doing and He provided this course for me to give me the information and confidence I need to be able to handle the tax return preparation for my family this year. I have been so impressed by the professional quality of the Federal Tax Course. I first received the hard copy version of the course. This is a 20 module course that is put together in a large 3-ring binder. Included with the module readings are self-scoring practice tests for each module and a final test for each module. The practice tests are used to help study the module in preparation for the end of module test. Explanations are given for each answer on the practice tests (including page numbers in the module for reference). Envelopes are provided to mail in the end of module tests for scoring when completed. Tests are scored and returned promptly with feedback from the grading instructor.
Along with the hard copy version of the course, I received access to the new online version of the Federal Tax Course. The online version contains exactly the same material as the hard copy version. Module readings are downloadable .pdf’s, self-scoring practice tests are virtually identical to the hard copy practice tests and correct answers are provided once complete, and the end of module tests are the same as the hard copy tests. Self-scoring practice tests can
be taken as many times as a student wishes to take them for practice. The end of module tests each have a passing score requirement. If the passing score is achieved, the answers with explanation are revealed once the test is completed. Students can check their grades at any time by visiting the grades section of the website. Robert Frankel, the course creator, communicates with students through the course inbox. For me, I have been using the hard copy notebook for my reading – mainly because I love to highlight while I read – and have been using the online practice tests and end of module tests. I like to have immediate feedback on the end of module tests. There is no time limit on the practice tests or the end of module tests, so there is no pressure at all.
I really like the way that this Federal Tax Course is arranged. It begins with the basics like
the history of our federal income tax laws then moves progressively through tax concepts like exemptions and filing status, deductions, gross income, adjusted gross income, property sale or exchange, and capital gains and losses, just to name a few topics. Both personal income tax issues and small business tax issues are addressed. I am learning so much! Unfortunately, one thing I have learned is that our family is going to lose at least one personal exemption this year, Yuck!
Once a student reaches Module 17, additional materials, including the final exam and supplemental update material, are sent to the student so the course can be completed. Students can complete this course in as few as 8 weeks but may take up to a year. It is recommended that you set up a regular time to work on your course and stick to it. Our schedule has been so uncertain for the past several weeks that I have not been able to always
work at my designated time, but I have been working. I take one module at a time out of my binder and keep it in a small folder in my ‘travel bag’ so I can have it with me whenever I am out with my hubby at doctor’s visits or waiting at the orthodontist with the kids. I keep a highlighter with me and work on reading and digesting the information. Then, when I am ready, I take the practice test and module test online. This has actually been a fairly painless way to introduce me back to going to school.
The Federal Tax Course enrollment is $795 – $840 for the compete course including 4 full years of post-graduate support and full access to the NTTS annual Tax Change Bulletins and unlimited ability to contact your instructor with questions. There is an optional plan which costs between $495 and $525 which includes only 2 full years of post-graduate support. Installment plans are available. There are colleges / universities which will accept this course as an actual course credit. Many of the questions I had when beginning the Federal Tax
Course were answered on the FAQs page of the NTTS website. I snooped around the NTTS website for several days when I found out I was going to receive this course. The ‘What You Get’ page on the website is very informative and really sold me on this course. I hope to be able to report back to my readers in a few more months that I have completed the course. My goal is to be totally finished by the end of the year so I am totally ready to handle my tax return with confidence.
Many of my friends on the Schoolhouse Review Crew have been ‘back to school’ like me for the past several weeks. To see what they have to say about the Federal Tax Course, visit our main crew blog page.
**Disclaimer: As a member of the Schoolhouse Review Crew, I received the Federal Tax Course at no cost to me in exchange for this honest review. The opinions expressed are my own. No compensation was received.**
No comments:
Post a Comment